Preparing for Your First Speech-Language/ OT Appointment
The following information may be helpful as you prepare for your first visit to the speech-language pathologists.
Before Your Visit
- Obtain a physician's referral (order/prescription) for the evaluation. You may bring it with you to the appointment or have the physician fax it to the appropriate site.
- DDD patients- Have your DDD Support Coordinator authorize services to Milestone Pediatrics.
- Check with your insurance provider or call our billing department to verify coverage for evaluation and possible treatment. It is important that you understand your benefits and that you verify insurance coverage and any restrictions.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment please call 480-855-0474 no later than 24 hours before the scheduled appointment.
What to Bring
- Copies of any previous evaluations or progress summaries including speech/language therapy, occupational/physical therapy, developmental/psychological evaluations, audiology (hearing testing), ENT reports or an individualized education plan (IEP).
- Physician referral, if not previously faxed to the department.
- Intake paperwork and insurance card if not filled out using our Docusign system
- Other items as needed (this will be discussed with you when your evaluation is scheduled).
During Your Visit
- The speech-language professional will ask questions to better understand your child's background, medical history and primary concerns.
- Standardized tests and informal observation will be used to assess areas of concern.
- Results and recommendations will be shared with you at the conclusion of this evaluation.
- The evaluation may take one to two hours. Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time in order for check-in to be completed prior to your child's appointment. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, we cannot guarantee that the evaluation can be completed.
- Don't forget your SOCKS for our Sensory Gym!